Create a Google Maps API Key
Follow these steps to create and implement a Google Maps API Key. Google gives you a very large amount of free credits every month which makes their maps service virtually free. To date, none of our customers have ever reported needing to pay anything. Even so, you can set limits and alerts.
Google gives you $200 credit free each month that means if your usage is low you can still use it for free even after the billing enabled, if it exceeds the credit limit now you have to pay for it.
- Go to the Google Maps Platform welcome page then click Get Started.
- Choose Maps, Routes and Places (all three) then click Continue.
- Log into your Google Account or create a new one, if necessary.
You may need to repeat the previous steps after logging in.
- Choose “Create a new project”, enter a name, then click Next.
- Set up billing for your new project then proceed to enable your APIs.
Google gives you such a large amount of free credits every month that to date none of our customers have reported needing to pay.
- Click the API Console link to restrict your key’s use to your website only (important).
- Under Application restrictions, choose “HTTP referrers (web sites)” then add the two entries below (replacing yourname.com with your own domain). Type the first entry then hit enter on your keyboard to add it. Repeat to add the second entry. Having both entries (with asterisks) will help ensure your maps work on any URL of your website.yourname.com/*
- Click Save then copy your key that is now shown on the screen.
Note: Google says it can take up to 5 minutes for your key to become active. We’ve heard reports of it taking 30 minutes or longer. Keep this in mind if your maps do not show right away.