There are 2 methods to update WordPress themes to newer version. There is no risk on losing your settings and pages. However if you had done modifications in parent theme files, then they will be lost.
Please note that before updating a theme, we recommend you to make backup your website files and SQL database. Also we recommend to deactivate its current version and then upload zip file with new theme version then activate and update the theme.
Update Using FTP
- Log into FTP Account using FileZilla or similar program.
- Go to wp-content/themes directory
- Delete your old theme
- Now, download the latest version of theme from Buddyfix.com/my-account
- If you have downloaded the zip, extract it. Find the theme folder. It generally has style.css file in it.
- Upload all files in that folder to the directory wp-content/themes on FTP.
Update Through WordPress Admin Panel
Upload the Installable WordPress theme via WP Dashboard. Goto Appearance > Themes
Delete the old version and reinstall the latest version. You will not be able to install the new version while the old version is still installed.
- Log in to your WordPress admin area.
- Browse to Appearance > Themes.
- Click on ‘Add New’.
- Click ‘Upload’.
- Browse and select the theme themename.zip file to ‘Upload’.
You don’t need to worry about losing your customizations when updating. new theme keeps your old settings, your old theme settings won’t lose.
Note: Backup your Website and Database before Updating.